Kudo's
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Sep 28th, 2020, 10:20am
About PortraNETAbout PortraNET EnrollEnroll RegisterRegister Member FeedbackMember Feedback  Ron's Studio Site & Gallery Ron's Studio Site & Gallery
HomeHome LoginLogin MembersMembers  Student map Student map
Mail BoxMail Box PortraNET.comPortraNET.com SearchSearch
News:
   PortraNET
   Public Access - Post to all in these areas
   PortraNet Lounge
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
   Kudo's
«- A Members facebook c… | Index ^ | Some of Ron's OLDER … -»
Pages: 8  
Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Kudo's  (Read 43880 times)
Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
My Goal Here: -
Re: Kudo's  
« Reply #45 on: May 26th, 2005, 10:55pm »

Hard to top this one - came at the end of a email today from a read only member. (wow)

_

However, I gotta say, it's the best $1300 I've ever spent. We have 2 large commercial studios here, film and high-res digital, complete graphic design, multimedia, digital prepress and large format 4 color offset printing capability, all in house.

But I'm looking to expand, and get back to senior portraiture. Last time I shot a senior, it was the ole' stiff motarboard pose for the yearbook, all the same stuff. Years ago.

And I guess I've just grown weary of product illustration...

SO one day I came across your site, and was intoxicated with your lighting techniques (all one of them) and the luminous quality of your portraiture.

Your work and technical mastery of portraiture is of the highest order I have ever seen. And yet your approach is of a non-technical nature. Truly commendable...

It was captivating enough to make an old fogey like me get my head out from under a focusing cloth, and look again at the prospect of fine-art portraiture. The read only membership has accellerated the learning curve of the marketing, promotion and selling end of the business, which is primarily what I signed on for.

It's no wonder you require a non-compete agreement, what PortraNET offers is truly that good...  Cheers, (UPDATE: 2-19-07...  I just jumped in here to edit this - I no longer require a non-compete, as I'm backing out of shooting to much at my studio and am finding I prefer teaching).

Christopher R. Chaffee
Owner-General Manager
WK/crc

_
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2007, 6:38pm by Ron » IP Logged

It's not any "one" thing, but hundreds of little things that make a great image.
Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #46 on: May 26th, 2005, 10:56pm »

Another today in PM to me - telling me about a offer I should share with members... and ending with this..

_

I have learned so much already that I was thrilled to find this offer and be able to pass it on.    

Portranet has been awesome for my photography.  You would not believe the improvement in just a few months.  I am already planning on renewing again next year.    

Thanks again,  
Curt Cuthbertson  
_
IP Logged

It's not any "one" thing, but hundreds of little things that make a great image.
Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #47 on: May 30th, 2005, 8:59pm »

This one in email today - makes me really proud of what we've built here.

_
Hi Ron,

I know I have a LONG way to go, but I just wanted to thank you for what you've taught me so far.   I posted some First Communion portraits in my project folder, and as you pointed out there were some things I need to work on, which I also realize - I've got a long way to go.

I just wanted to let you know though, that the reaction of the parents was off the charts.   They were so happy to see their children photographed like this.    That means more to me than the money right now (I had some big orders for reprints after they bought the packages).  I know the money will come, but I'm so happy I can finally produce something that almost brings parents to tears.  

I just wanted to thank you so much for all the help you've given me, and if these parents could, they would also thank you.  I look forward to improving more and I know I couldn't have provided this for the parents without your help.

Thanks,
Doug Creamer  
6-30-2005

_

IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #48 on: Jun 9th, 2005, 5:57pm »

Post in one of Glen Kerns threads today

__

Any way, with tose 3 jobs alone, I was able to pay for the MarkII, new lens, some new props, and my tuition for my second year here .   PortraNet is the most incredible learning tool I have ever seen. Thanks for having it!!  
__

That's what it's all about - going great work that SELLS and turns a profit so we can make great livings doing what we love.
IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
Re: Kudo's One from Kim today  
« Reply #49 on: Jun 15th, 2005, 12:51pm »

Hi Ron, Kim Smith here from Birch Run, MI.  I just purchased a Maxtor One Touch external hard drive because my Dell laptop was telling me that I had low disk space.  I understand how to backup files, but what I want to know is after I finish a session, I burn it to a CD then normally save it to my hard drive on my laptop, how do I save it to the external hard drive only?  Is it a simple drag and drop, or is there more to it?  Sorry for my ignorance with computer tech.  

Also, just wanted to let you know that I am still here on PortraNet.  I have not posted in forever only because you have taught us how to accomplish great portraits, and as soon as I have one that "I" see nothing wrong with, I will post it for your comments and help.  I can only imagine how busy you are and do not want to bother you with images I can already see where problems lye.  

I have seen great improvement in my portraits and so have others (still lots of room for improvement), I have several senior sessions already booked with calls coming in almost daily.  I am very pleased with this being my first year in the business and look forward to continuing my learning here.  Thanks!

IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #50 on: Jun 15th, 2005, 1:27pm »

One today from Starla Hock. (posted with her work in your new project folder)

_

This is a recent shot of a 4 week old baby. The parents ordered mostly from this shot but also ordered a few prints from 3 other poses. This session produced my largest order to date from a single session.....$554 before tax... Although there really isn't any PN rules followed here for this baby shot, the portrait is greatly affected by what I've learned here so far. -

-  My methods of photography and workflow have been transformed by what I am learning on Portranet. I'll be ordering a 16x20 of this shot for the parents. It's going to look great mounted on Gatorfoam and protected with PLE's clear coat.  
_

Thanks Starla - contrats on your nice baby order!  (only 2 more of those this year and you've Paid for PortraNET)  Wink
IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #51 on: Aug 15th, 2005, 2:30pm »

Haven't posted in here for a while, here is one from today - figured I'd move it from Sally's project folder to the public area.

Quote:
Thanks for the help.  Portranet has been the best place for me to learn.  I wish I'd found you at the beginning of my adventure, but that's life.  I'm in the right place now.    

Sally Puckett
IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #52 on: Aug 15th, 2005, 5:12pm »

Quote:
This place is amazing!  I feel that I have already learned so much in just a week.  I am so excited to think of where I could be this time next year!

Susan Southards, OH
IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #53 on: Aug 29th, 2005, 12:45pm »

One today in email from Nikki-

_

I have already learned so much being read only but now I am ready to take it to the next level and I don't think I can do that without having full access to all of your wonderful knowledge, feedback and constructive criticism, as well as everyone else's. Thank you so much. This place ROCKS!!! Nikki Peebles

Nikki Peebles
Images In Time  

_

« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2005, 12:45pm by Ron » IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #54 on: Aug 29th, 2005, 4:37pm »

One today from Larry D. (new member here)

__

Ron,  
Thanks for your patience over the last couple of days as I've strayed a bit from the curriculum.  I'm so excited about the lighting that I've learned fom you, it's really amazing how quickly you've been able to guide me in this first step.  

Next week I'm looking forward to working on H&S posing with hands as you teach it.  

Have a great weekend and thanks again for everything so far.  

Best,  

__
IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #55 on: Jan 9th, 2006, 7:38pm »

I've been slacking on updated this thread... so here's one from today. To me via PM

____

Hi Ron,  

First off let me say a BIG THANK YOU for the education you provided for me here on PortraNet. I know this past first year here I was not a bigger poster, but the reason for that is simple.......you gave me the tools I needed to create a perfect portrait along with the ability to see mistakes and things that could have been done differently. I did not want to bother you with posting images that I already could see where I needed to make improvements. But knowing that you were there if I needed to post an image for help and feedback was very supportive. You have helped me make my first year in business a very successful one that has help set me apart from my local competitors (not to mention I am getting out of my basement studio and into something bigger and better! Of course I still need lots of continued support and that is why I will renew for my second year. ~snip (personal stuff)

Take Care,  

Kim M. Smith  
Birch Run, MI

______

When I asked if I could use her comments in the Kudo's thread, this was her cute reply...

______

Ron,  

You absolutley have my permission to post any comments you like on PortraNet. I actually had someone private message me about how I liked my membership and he replied back saying that everyone he spoke with sounded like paid testimonials! I guess when you find a good thing you tell everyone (except your competition, shhhhh)  

Take Care,  

KIm

______

As much as I'd love to give students something for their referrals/kind words, I don't like to tant their comments and want them to be honest and constructive. If thrilled tell the world. If unhappy - tell me! I've always made the changes that everyone requests.

Thanks Kim!

_____
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2006, 7:39pm by Ron » IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #56 on: Jan 10th, 2006, 12:37pm »

One today from Mark Butcher
____

Hey Ron:  

Got your message about my year coming to an end. Wow, it went by quick. I will send you a pre portranet R/O photo and an after photo. I know you will be proud of what we are acomplishing here as R/O's. It is truly amazing if you follow the simple instruction you give and try not to complicate things.  

____

Thanks Mark - yes it IS EASY - you only need to do it exactly as I explain it. Don't adlib, don't get creative, don't make thing up. Do it by my teachings for a year or two then when it's 2nd nature... then you can get creative. All art starts with good technique and a good foundation at first. From there you can add your own creative styles.  I'd love to see the photos before joining and after a year. (via email is fine) I often don't see the progress of R/O students since I don't hear from them. But seeing how many upgrade to full or renew for additional years means they're getting a lot out of it.
Thanks for the comments
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2006, 12:39pm by Ron » IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #57 on: Jan 18th, 2006, 11:19am »

One in today from Jacque Dufrene

__

Thanks soooo much for the opportunity PortraNet gives! I've always wanted to created photographs like yours, and I am on my way there, in such a short time... it's unreal!!!!!  

Thanks,  
Jacque
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2006, 11:20am by Ron » IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #58 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 2:13pm »

Debbie Metcalf said in passing to Kent today  (I had to repost this here, as it gave me a big head).  Grin

_

Thanks Kent...   I did some checking and got a couple of good ideas from here...  

It was nice to finally meet you!   I enjoyed KPPA, but I must say that I learn SO much more on here.   I'm not sure I could do this job without P-net.  
_
IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #59 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 6:01pm »

One in today - thanks for the great feedback Rondelle - you've been working at it and that's what it takes!

__

Ron,  

I wanted to drop you a line to let you know how much the things I have learned here on Portranet have given me the ability to do so much more than just photography better than I did before. I do graphic design for my church and I notice myself looking at the lighting, where the shadows fall on the objects and looking at over all compsition very differently.  

The "first" paid session I EVER HAD with the 5 wk old baby, brought in over $250! They are so happy they are coming back with the other 3 children and for a family shot later this year! I'm floored as I was only doing "nice" snapshots prior to December 2005.  

I've been EXTREMELY busy with quite a few other things, but plan on doing more studing on composition and adding props, along with trying my hand at outdoor portraits when spring finally comes into full swing.  

Thanks SO MUCH...  

Rondelle DeLong
IP Logged

Pages: 8  
Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
«- A Members facebook c… | Index ^ | Some of Ron's OLDER … -»

All content, images & instruction Copyright 2003-2013 Ron Kramer/Rojoy Inc. dba PortraNet
PortraNET » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

Artdesy.com - An Art Directory