« Kudo's »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Aug 14th, 2020, 6:15pm
About PortraNETAbout PortraNET EnrollEnroll RegisterRegister Member FeedbackMember Feedback  Ron's Studio Site & Gallery Ron's Studio Site & Gallery
HomeHome LoginLogin MembersMembers  Student map Student map
Mail BoxMail Box PortraNET.comPortraNET.com SearchSearch
News:
   PortraNET
   Public Access - Post to all in these areas
   PortraNet Lounge
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
   Kudo's
«- A Members facebook c… | Index ^ | Some of Ron's OLDER … -»
Pages: 8  
Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Kudo's  (Read 43540 times)
Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
My Goal Here: -
Re: Kudo's  
« Reply #60 on: Jun 29th, 2006, 5:30pm »

I just read this in the "Alumni" area (a place for past students to hang out together on here).  Johan posted a photo with this that was really nice!!  Thanks for the comment Johan, I LOVED reading it - especially from the OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD!
I always feel bad that I don't get a chance to get to talk to or get to know R/O members, part of the reason I removed R/O access - it was so impersonal and I want to be SURE that every student makes awesome progress - and with R/O membership, I couldn't do that.  Glad R/O was still very worth while for you!  Good luck with your new studio/lab.

Ron

_____

Hi folks.  

I joined here just over a year ago, and have had such a good time reading posts and learning like crazy. I live in South Africa. I joined as a R/O member as thats what my funds allowed me.  

I joined portranet to improve my photography and hopefully, it would lead me into doing it full time. Unfortunalty my R/O memeber ship expired on the 1st June, but I am now also the lucky owner of a Kodak lab and run my own studio at the lab as well. Portanet is probably the best money I have ever spent. I would definatly not be where I am today without it.  

I cannot even begin to tell all of you how much portranet has helped me out and am slowy building a great reputation for myself locally now. Luckily I am currently the only person from South Africa that has joined so competition for me is very, very scarce   .  

Anyway These are the very first shots from my studio which is not totally setup yet. Hope you like them and any idea's and/or advise would be appreciated.  

Regards  

Johan Combrink
IP Logged

It's not any "one" thing, but hundreds of little things that make a great image.
Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #61 on: Oct 12th, 2006, 11:07am »

One from Mike Dunlop, IA - today in his project folder.
REPOSTED HERE.

___

Awesome!!!!! a "WOW" from Ron!   I'm excited.  I appreciate your help on teaching me how to make my images better.  PortraNet has been a GIANT help in my learning to make better portraits.  I don't get a chance to post very often but am on reading a lot and try to apply what others have also gone through.  Things are slowing at the studio and I hope to post more of this years seniors in the coming weeks.  Thanks.  

___
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2006, 11:07am by Ron » IP Logged

It's not any "one" thing, but hundreds of little things that make a great image.
Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #62 on: Oct 12th, 2006, 11:29am »

Nother one from Holly Tracy (IA) today in her project folder at the end of a reply to one of my critiques.
Holly writes...
____

I have to thank you again for everything I've learned here.  I'm no longer afraid to try things, move things around, and spend the time to make things just right (spending the time on moving props, lights, etc.).  You and Portranet have given me the confidence to do this without worrying that my subject will get impatient.  They're paying good money to come to me, so I'm going to spend the time to make it right.  I usually apologize for the time taken at the end of the session, but most folks say "oh no... we can see that you're picky --- and we appreciate that"... even if it *is* midnight before they leave!  
_____
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2006, 11:30am by Ron » IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #63 on: Oct 15th, 2006, 3:51pm »

One of Chris Randall today

___

This comes on the heels of a big night at our local symphony's (remember the work I did for them last year?) gallery opening here in town. I was there for the paper and they came over and just complimented me out the wazoo about the photography. One question that I cracked up at at one point....all these hoity toity people standing around me asking questions and for business cards (which of course I carry in my camera bag   ) and this lady goes, your style is so unique...what would you call it? I chuckled. I almost felt like a fraud in a way, I am thinking in my head, it's not my style, it's called Kramerized. She went on to say....no one else around here has that "umph" that your portraits do. I was floored to say the least. So to have my mentor compliment me and a bunch of respected people in the community in one weekend....I am gonna go float on cloud 9 all through my biggest week of appt's. "Proud to hang that in your waiting room......" WOW......  

___
IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #64 on: Nov 1st, 2006, 12:59pm »

Another one from Brigitte Hoag's project folder in reply to my critique and video on how to do something that she didn't quite understand from a previous lesson.

_____  she writes _____

Ron,  

This is awesome!  Let me toot your horn for you.  You stopped and created a mini video for me?  WOW!  I wish all instructors for all subjects were as dedicated to having their students learn.  Not just throwing the info out there with the attitude if you get it great - if not so what.  
I am so happy I found PortraNet and didn't wait any longer to join.  I had the same questions everyone else did about "is it worth it", "gosh that's a lot of money", "how much can i really learn", etc.  I couldn't have made a better decision to join.  All the money on books and dvd's were just a waste of time and money.  As they sit on the shelf to collect dust - and quite frankly I learned little to nothing from them.  If I would have known how much information was on PortraNet and how well you would instruct - I would have paid twice as much to get this information.  (doesn't mean you need to charge me double)    My work has improved as well as my confidence.  I realize I have a long ways to go - but it's already worth it.  Gosh and they are charging $79 at betterphoto.com to critique 8 photos.    

THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU for the video.  It is much clearer to me what you were/are doing.  I have a couple of pre portranet shots that this will help out on from when I didn't have a backlight.  In this particular situation it's nice to know how to fix this b/c I didn't even have all my lights set up, measured, etc  and was not ready when the baby was - just felt like I needed to grab the shot while I could.  I agree easier/better to do it right in camera.    

THANKS  
Brigitte  

________

IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #65 on: Dec 9th, 2006, 2:21pm »

Just in PM to me today-
__

Thanks Ron !  
I will start posting soon . I am so exited   and because I’m not sure where to say this I will tell you here in a PM .We finished remodeling , everything looks awesome in the new camera room(will post pictures)Waiting for my new camera to come sometimes during the next week. I would like to personally THANK YOU for the great web site you are running ! Portra net is a ,,Golden thing’’ for me and I would be lost without it! Don’t know what else to say but : Keep it up and God bless you and your family !    

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------
Gueorgui Petkov  
IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #66 on: Jan 5th, 2007, 6:20pm »

Have been slacking on posting here - Just received this one today via email.  This is a READ ONLY member... asking about upgrading to full member so he can post his work showing what he's learned for my personal one on one help.

_

Hi Ron,

I have to say I've learned TONS just by reading your site.  How much would it cost to upgrade my membership to be able to post pictures for the remainder of my year?  Also, what does the 2nd year cost?

Thanks so much!

Rob Sigler

Rob Sigler Photography
http://www.RobsPictures.com
IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #67 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:48am »

I have a frriend getting married up North, I retired from wedding work and am not comfortable doing weddings for friends... so I try to get one of my students in the area to take the job.  I contacted Alumni Mark Butcher who's up north a ways... and though he was booked for the date - I recieved this WONDERFUL reply that I just had to share here.

____

Ron:

Thanks so much for thinking about me.  Unfortunately, I do not have the date available.  We are completely booked for weddings 2007 and into 2008 and are already receiving bookings for 2008 seniors.  

Let me say this though.  If not for Portra Net, I would be out of business.  However, that is far from the case.  The lighting, posing and processing techniques you taught were critical in my growth as a professional photographer.  Case in point.  My first year in business prior to PN I generated $1500 part-time.  For 2006 ,and still working only part-time I generated over $60,000 worth of business.  Holy Cow Ron.....my work is very different than most in the area and is now being compared with the established studios in the area.  All thanks to you.  I still work my full-time job and have learned to creatively schedule on nights and weekends.  It really works and I really owe you a debt of gratitude.  

I still participate in the Alumni section.  I do laugh sometimes at all the gimmicks that people are trying these days...no need, just stick to the basics.  You really can't beat a main light and a hand made reflector, I still use mine - would never give it up.  

Thank you again for a giving me a lifetime of skills that I can carry forever!!!
Mark Butcher

Wonderful story - thanks Mark

« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:52am by Ron » IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #68 on: Jan 25th, 2007, 1:42pm »

LIL Kudo - from Holly Tracy - I did her daughters senior pictures a few years ago.  I thought it was funny...

___

Ron

Thanks!  Just renewed.  I tried to tell Joy that it was only $50 for the 3rd year, but she wasn't bite n'!    

Honestly... it's worth every penny and more.  Best money EVER spent.  Thanks again!  

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------
Holly Tracy www.htimages.com  
IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #69 on: Jan 25th, 2007, 6:47pm »

Another today in Traci Todaro's (TX) project folder at the end of her post... thanks Traci - for the kinda comments.

------------------------------------  

A side note... I just want to take the chance to tell you how much I'm enjoying PortraNET.  I was very much an amateur before PN.  Had never used any studio lighting, had never done any real posing... I had mainly taken pictures of family and close friends.  I had never shot RAW files, never even used manual settings on my camera much.  I understood f-stop, shutter speed, iso, etc... but was never confident enough to trust myself to set them consistently.  I didn't know not to use flash outdoors for things like senior portraits(!), I didn't have the first clue what lighting equipment to buy, I had never heard some terms like high-key/low-key, softbox, mainlight.  I had "played" with Photoshop Elements and had never used CS2.  I had never had a paying photography job before PN.  Stumbling across the House of Photography website, emailing you and learning about PN was TRANSFORMING for me in photography.  I have a long way to go, but I have already done 12-15 paying jobs and have 10-12 more booked for the next few months.  I just made $800 on the posed basketball pictures I took... a year ago I didn't even have any of this on my radar screen!  PortraNET was the best investment I could have made in my business!  I'm so glad I found you before joining NYIP, as I was about to do!  Just want you to know how much I'm learning everyday.  I can't personally wait to keep watching it all come together!!  Thanks, Ron!!    
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2007, 6:52pm by Ron » IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #70 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 3:54pm »

Nick J. Guida - has been with us now for 2 days - looking through PortraNET's goodies...
He just posted this in his project folder and I had to share what the first impression of a new student is here.

__

Hello, I am Nick, I am just getting started with PortraNet.  It is very exciting to be a part of such a wonderful group of people.      I am going to start off showing some Pre-PortraNet work.  I can't believe how much I didn't know about portraiture.   I felt like I had some knowelge on posing and lighting till I started reading some of the lessons and watching videos.  I am blown away by the simplistic approach you have for everything, Ron.  I am relieved too!!  I am so inspired by everyones work here that you can't help but get motivated.  I am going to study up on the basic H/S shots and get to work this weekend.  Thanks for any comments and critiques.  Have a great weekend!!!  

Nick
__

Relieved I imagine because once you make the investment here and get on the inside - one must HOPE they can do it? !  Certainly already Nick as found that anyone can do it with my way of teaching.  Looking forward to Greatness Nick!
Ron.

That's the beauty of portraNET...
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2007, 3:55pm by Ron » IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #71 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 11:52am »

PM to me from Mike Dunlop today

Hey Ron,  
   I need to renew my membership.  Do I call you with my CC# or how does the renewal process work   Let me know.  BTW my first year on portranet was awesome.  I do not post a lot but I spend a great deal of time reading technique and studying.  I have enjoyed my membership and look forward to the following year.    

Mike D  

IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #72 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 1:19pm »

Nick J. Guida opened his post to me today with this, which I took as a huge compliment..

_

Hi Ron  

One of the most impressive aspects of learning here is how you dissect each shot and tell us where we are going wrong.  I am so amazed how you can tell when I am using a reflector in an area that I shouldn't be.  Yes, I was using a reflector on the left side of the second shot.  ...

_

My reply was - decades of looking at light and learning to see it, so that I know how a shot was lit by simply looking at the subject.  Anyway - thanks for the comment Nick.
IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #73 on: Mar 9th, 2007, 6:05pm »

A post from Rob Lewis today to Sharon and all -  

__

"I did find software called uMark Professional that was only $17 and is really easy with some nice options."  

When I read this I chuckled to myself, (not at you Sharon) but at the thought of someone saying to one of us here on PortraNET or Ron as we tell them about PortraNET and we mention how much it costs and they say "Well I joined the Pro4dumb for only $99 or $250 and it has some nice options." Just doesn't compare and until they try PortraNET they will never understand what they are missing and how much more they could learn and do. Really anything that offers the training and resources that PortraNET does or the power StudioZap has as Photoshop tool, is just plain going to be an investment and cost appropriately more. Again, Sharon, I know you now I'm not picking on you, your statement just made me think about this a little differently than I had before because I think many people don't "get" StudioZap 'yet'. Not sure why I recognized what a powerful and useful product StudioZap was the second I heard about it, but I sure am glad I did.  

Eddy, if your reading this thanks for the tools. By the way, what ever possessed you to create them in the first place? Maybe you answered this on the site or here on a different thread?  

_
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2007, 6:05pm by Ron » IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #74 on: Mar 9th, 2007, 6:07pm »

And a reply

Gueorgui Petkov

___

I agree with you 100% ,Rob. Portranet is like part of me already. If  I miss a day not reading in here , I feel like I missed something really important. Share the same satisfaction with Eddy’s program. It is a ,,must have ‘’ for me and definitely recommending it to all members. Big THANK YOU , Ron and Eddy !!!  
___

thanks guys.
IP Logged

Pages: 8  
Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
«- A Members facebook c… | Index ^ | Some of Ron's OLDER … -»

All content, images & instruction Copyright ©2003-2013 Ron Kramer/Rojoy Inc. dba PortraNet
PortraNET » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

Artdesy.com - An Art Directory