« Kudo's »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Aug 14th, 2020, 7:00pm
About PortraNETAbout PortraNET EnrollEnroll RegisterRegister Member FeedbackMember Feedback  Ron's Studio Site & Gallery Ron's Studio Site & Gallery
HomeHome LoginLogin MembersMembers  Student map Student map
Mail BoxMail Box PortraNET.comPortraNET.com SearchSearch
News:
   PortraNET
   Public Access - Post to all in these areas
   PortraNet Lounge
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
   Kudo's
«- A Members facebook c… | Index ^ | Some of Ron's OLDER … -»
Pages: 8  
Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Kudo's  (Read 43543 times)
Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
My Goal Here: -
Re: Kudo's  
« Reply #75 on: Aug 7th, 2007, 11:00am »

New post to me in PM from new member Tom Marvin.

________

Ron:  

I ftp raw file of little girl at column to PortraNet site.  

I've been reading a lot and have learned a lot about lighting and posing just by reading for the couple of weeks since I've joined. The information on the site here is better than any book or class that I've ever taken.  

Thanks for the feedback and for sharing all your stuff.  

Tom  

It's not any "one" thing, but hundreds of little things that make a great image.
Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #76 on: Sep 11th, 2007, 5:24pm »

Tom Marvin - after 2 months - Thanks Again Tom..

__

Ron:  

I just wanted to tell you thanks for all the great information and feedback I've gotten here since I joined. I not nearly as nervous as I was about the investment I'm making in opening my retail space studio as I was prior to joining PortraNet.  

In addition to the great information and feedback from you, PortraNet is a great community.
__

IP Logged

It's not any "one" thing, but hundreds of little things that make a great image.
Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #77 on: Sep 11th, 2007, 6:16pm »

Just in - email... From Kim Ranney
__

I just had to email and tell you how much I appreciate everything you have done. I haven't posted a whole lot but I have still learned so much! My business has grown to a place I never thought it  could be and my husband and I are even talking about him quitting his job and working with me in a coup[le years. Today I got an e-mail from Blossom asking if they could use some of my images for their calendar. Totally made my day!!! Thanks Ron!!!  

Kim Ranney
IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #78 on: Sep 18th, 2007, 9:19am »

John Manuel said this awesome msg to me today with his renewal for his 2nd year.

______

Hi Ron,  

My first year is almost up - I haven't posted nearly enough, but I have learned a tremendous amount of information from you.  I can't imagine living without PortraNet now!  You have truely provided an awesome resource and the community is fantastic.  I love how detailed you are and how much feedback you give to everyone in their project folders.  

A year ago I thought I wanted to improve my photography skills, but wasn't sure if this would be worth it or not - well it definitely is!  Until this year I had never in my life been paid to take portraits (or any kind of photographs), and I would never have had to confidence to really try and do it (other then for friends).  I have to say, I took your suggestion and have been giving free 8x10 or proofs for friends, family, etc... to come over and let me practice.  It has worked great, I don't have the time to spend on it I'd like, and I haven't posted all my results, but I learn more every time I do it.  Word as gotten around and I've actually done 5 seniors over the summer and the last two had $540 and $950 orders (they both said they were so good compared to what they were used to that they couldn't decided and had to order a lot more then they expected ).  That would have never happened without PortraNet.  So, I almost made the cost of my first year here with two seniors - I would have never thought that was possible before PortraNet.  
Thank you so much!  

So, I will renewing for a second year (and hope to easily make the cost of admission in the next year), but mostly I hope to be waaay better then I am now.  
________

This is what I've told many people before they join, I hear it time and time and time again from my students... they pay for the cost of their first year typically in 2-4 jobs.... a total of only about 2-4 hours work!
IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #79 on: Sep 18th, 2007, 3:56pm »

Note from Becky Howrigon today...  

___

Hi Ron,  

Absolutely, positively I will be renewing!  Business is great and of course YOU get all the credit.  I love PortraNet more and more all the time.  It is my crutch and I really don't know what I would do without it!  

___

IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #80 on: Sep 18th, 2007, 7:19pm »

Another in from Holly Tracy (Iowa)

________

Hey Ron...  
  I have to jump on the "Praise PortraNet" band wagon!  I just got my first order over $1K ($1200)!  It's all PortraNet... and I'm *never* going to leave... so get used to me hangin' around!    
  Thanks again for everything...  
Holly  

________
IP Logged

Holly Tracy
Alumni

Davenport IA
# 603

Addicted to PortraNet!

View Profile WWW

7th yr.
Date Started: Jan 31st, 2005
« Reply #81 on: Sep 21st, 2007, 5:08pm »

I wanted to pass along the comments I got with that order.  In an email, the mom said:
"Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us!  You did a fabulous job capturing Hailey's personality!  I am really excited to share the pictures with our family and friends and to add the new pictures to our collage wall!  She enjoyed the photo shoot!"

Then, when I collected the deposit for the order, she had more great things to say.  She has her daughter's picture taken every year... and has a "picture collage wall" (referred to above).  This is the first year she's come to me (came from a referral from a friend).  She went on to say  "... You did such an awesome job.  I held up your proofs next to the finished portraits on my wall taken by other photographers, and there's no comparison.  There's something special about the posing and lighting... I loved how she looked... how her hair was lit... the lighting in her face..."    

She's already talking about next year's photos (her daughter is only 14).  I can only attribute this to what I've learned here at PortraNet.  People talk about "my lighting".  I would NEVER have achieved this without Ron and PortraNet.  

Thanks again!
IP Logged

Holly Tracy
www.htimages.com
Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #82 on: Dec 4th, 2007, 5:53pm »

One in today (wished to be anon).

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

Hey Ron.....just wanted to let you know that I just received the largest order ever and probably the largest off of one session that I will ever receive.....it was over 3,000.00 from one session..... had I not had your instruction I am sure this wouldn't have happened...  

You have helped me sooo much.....I know I have a ton more to learn but you have put me in a class above 99% of the photographers around me.  

Also, like many others here I do not want to share the knowledge!    (Cheryl comes to mind with what she said)....ditto what she posted.....with that in mind too, I was wondering if you could take my last name out of the front page post.....I love making the front page but don't like customers or competition searching my name on the net and finding out where I learned everything from     ......nothing against you as I owe all my progression to you and don't care to admit it....but I feel like because of my quality I hold an edge on my competition and don't want to lose that....I love this place and wouldn't hesitate for a minute to tell someone about Portranet that is not close to me....but never a competitor    

Thanks a ton!  
IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #83 on: Dec 18th, 2007, 3:46pm »

Just a sentence in passing...  I find it to be a great compliment though!
Sharon said...

I cut everyone off two weeks ago for anything for Christmas delivery, I think though I have had a record holiday season, orders on average have doubled and tripled!

IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #84 on: Dec 22nd, 2007, 3:21pm »

This just in... (PM to me) - I love these reports... from people that get 150-200 order before Portranet... telling me of 800-1000-1400 orders after PortraNET.  It's all about the quality of what we present to our customers!

Hi Ron,

Just wanted to tell you that I received a great gift last week from a customer -- my first $1000 order!!

This lady didn't even blink when I gave her the total! Of course, I stayed calm and acted like I get orders like that every day of the week... but when she left, I turned around and my daughter was grinning at me like an idiot.  WOO-HOO!

Never could have happened without you -- so I say (again) THANKS for all you do.

Merry, Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Cheryl

IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #85 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 2:54pm »

This is a great one - just in with a picture submission into her project folder...

Congrats! to Traci Todaro!  
 -2nd year student here-

A quick "Thank You!"... Some of the things we've done this fall (husband & I) is Elementary school yearbook photos for a campus of 900 kids.  The compliments were abundant and lavish!!  "These are the BEST school photos we've ever seen.  Your lighting is so soft."... "These are the best pictures my children have ever had taken.  The school cannot EVER use anyone but you for their photos."  Unbelievable success!!  We've also done all of our local school's athletic, cheer, & dance pictures for both Jr High and High School.  We've taken 1000's of sports action photos at football, volleyball and basketball games, including state playoff games, for our local newspaper and the school.  We got the contract for basketball and baseball/softball photos for our local youth athletic association.  Although not all of these things are portrait work, there is NO WAY I would have had the know-how or the confidence to consider any of this pre-PortraNET.  After only a little over a year here, these are the things I'm confidently able to do!  

Christmas Season was great as well.  Got my first single client order for over $1200!  The client had been going to "the" photographer in our area for years (also a personal friend of hers), but raved about the softness and look of my portraits.  

Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU!!!  

« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2008, 2:54pm by Ron » IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #86 on: Jan 4th, 2008, 3:47pm »

This comment just posted by Jason Crowe in his project folder. (at the end of his reply to me).  He's a fairly new member.

I think I am understanding about the props. Just because I have them doesn't mean I need to use them......  

I am going to put this set up permantley, but I am going to find a different wall paper that is a little more forgiving. I will also nail down the trim, so it should improve as well.  

Thank you for all your help. It's amazing to me what you see in an image. I have been reading a lot of the other project folders and the difference between starting and current skill levels is nothing short of amazing. I was worried before I signed on, but this has been well worth the money. Probably one of my most important investments in photography to date.

« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2008, 3:48pm by Ron » IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #87 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 2:23pm »

To people THINKING of joining - remember  I DIDN'T ASK FOR ANY OF THESE.
These are all from members hearts and not due to "my request for comments to post".
One today from

John Manuel

Thanks so much for all the help  you give all of us.  You are the first person I've ever met (well I guess I've not actually 'met' you ---- yet) that can look at a photo and know what's wrong (and right) with it and is willing to take the time to explain the details of how to improve it.  This is truly and amazing learning place - I don't know what I would do without your critiques.  Thanks!

I had a chance over Christmas break to take a look at these photos again and look at what you did and try to make some improvements.

« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2008, 2:25pm by Ron » IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #88 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 8:05pm »

In Kristina Fosters folder today - she ended with this.
Kristina is a student of mine in South Africa!  

Guess what? I booked a wedding for May last night by word of mouth (via the Mother of the Bride I did last March).... they came over to see some of my work and also saw the maternity photos I did of my friend. I am now doing a quick photo shoot for their wedding invite, their wedding, some shots of them for their walls AFTER the wedding - AND, their maternity photos (said they weren't going to wait very long to have kids).....thanks sooooo much Ron for all you do!  This would never of happened if I didnt have portranet - to get to this point where people are knocking on my door and hunting ME down!  They told me that they heard there was "an American that took lekke pictures"! (the Afrikaans word for "Stunning")  Shocked  (and I'm not even CLOSE to over half of others on here! I certainly would never have thought anyone would call my photos "lekke" - THANK YOU, RON!)  

IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #89 on: Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:02am »

PM to me - Shannon Snyder (fairly new member)

Ron,  
Thanks so much for all your work and efforts. Believe me, I will DEFINITELY be renewing a second year. I have learned so much in the little time that I have been here and I have sooooooooooooooooooooo much more to learn...I could never give this class up. You are by far the best instructor out there and the people who are members are also so helpful and informative. I feel like I have a new family in the photography world with Portranet. Are you thinking of doing any hands on classes? Or do you ever have students come watch you at your studio? Iam so close and thought it would be so helpful in my learning to maybe get some one on one interaction. I dont know if you ever do this, but let me know. I would love to visit the studio and watch how you work. Thanks again for everything!  

Shannon

We have lots of (local - (state and city) members that joined since my last workshops... if there is interest in a hands on (in person) workshop again... I'd make it happen for those interested.  I prefer "playshops"  no plan... informal - one day - you Question - I answer and show in person. We can go on for days doing this.  I prefer it more than a plan of what "I want to do" - this gets attendee's what they want and need and have trouble with.
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:05am by Ron » IP Logged

Pages: 8  
Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
«- A Members facebook c… | Index ^ | Some of Ron's OLDER … -»

All content, images & instruction Copyright ©2003-2013 Ron Kramer/Rojoy Inc. dba PortraNet
PortraNET » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

Artdesy.com - An Art Directory