« Kudo's »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jan 22nd, 2020, 4:22am
About PortraNETAbout PortraNET EnrollEnroll RegisterRegister Member FeedbackMember Feedback  Ron's Studio Site & Gallery Ron's Studio Site & Gallery
HomeHome LoginLogin MembersMembers  Student map Student map
Mail BoxMail Box PortraNET.comPortraNET.com SearchSearch
News:
   PortraNET
   Public Access - Post to all in these areas
   PortraNet Lounge
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
   Kudo's
«- A Members facebook c… | Index ^ | Some of Ron's OLDER … -»
Pages: 8  
Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Kudo's  (Read 41913 times)
Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
My Goal Here: -
Re: Kudo's  
« Reply #90 on: Feb 25th, 2008, 6:20pm »

Posted in Jim's project folder to me today (I'm going to edit out some of the middle - lesson stuff and just share the great news).

You know, for someone that doesn't even have enough room in his living room for a studio setup & just doing this part-time for now, it's been a GREAT 2 months!!!  

Just got done shooting at the local country club for 2 Friday nights in a row.  From 7:30-10:00, both nights.  Shooting portraits & event candids.  $2300 total for the two nights.  That qualifies for your $300/hour plus some!  

Received a phone call today from the local high school (425 seniors/year), to participate in their "Special Education" Prom for the year.  The lady knows me and has gotten local merchants to donate the tuxedos for the guys & dresses for the girls.  There are only 18 of them, but they are going to go all out for these kids.  Couldn't resist donating my time to help out.    

The newspaper will be there, members of the county schoolboard, the principal and some of the teachers!  I know, bring plenty of business cards.  The coordinator also works very closely with the faculty yearbook editor.  

You know, I'd do this for the kids anyway, but there may be some residuals here.  Wish me luck.  

SNIP DETAILS...

I made $5700 in January & $2500 in February, part time with these events.    

Once again, thank you so much for all your instruction on lighting, posing, and business practices/pricing.  Couldn't be doing this without you, and I really appreciate it.  

Hope all is going well, Grandpa!  Give that baby a hug for me!  

Jim
IP Logged

It's not any "one" thing, but hundreds of little things that make a great image.
Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #91 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 1:36pm »

Just a incoming PM to me... from a new member  Angie W.

Hi Ron,  

First I just want to say THANK YOU!!!!  

You have opened my eyes to so many things since I joined PortraNet. I can't believe I was even on some of these other forums....I just browsed through some of them after joining PortraNet about a month and a half ago. What can I say but YUK, YUK, YUK!! I can't even believe I was on those sites but like you said that is what you get for "free." I look at other photos on there and all I find myself thinking is too much of that color in the skin and too much of that color and not posed right and not compositionally right and on and on and on I go. I keep saying to myself if you people only knew what I know in just a little over a month with Ron you would be shocked! I know I have a LONG ways to go but that is part of the fun and the journey along the way. I will definitely be with PortraNet for a LONG, LONG time!   This place is so addicting AND informative!  

May you and your family continue to receive many blessings!  

Angie

IP Logged

It's not any "one" thing, but hundreds of little things that make a great image.
Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #92 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 2:18pm »

Tara Burley writes.

Hey Ron, I just wanted to let you know that I mailed a money order today for my renewal!  I responded to the email reminder, but I don't know how often you read those!  Like I've said before, this is the best investment ever!  A HUGE HUG of gratitude for blessing us with your knowledge!  It's truly Priceless!

« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2008, 3:02pm by Ron » IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #93 on: Apr 1st, 2008, 11:39am »

This just in -  Portranet pays for itself even if you don't try. = )

Ron,

I believe it's about time to renew.  If you can let me know how to do  
that I'll go ahead and take care of it.

I haven't posted as much as many of the others as my opportunities to  
shoot are limited given my "other" job but I still have learned a  
great deal and wish to keep doing so.   And, over the past year, a  
most interesting thing has happened...

Prior to joining PortraNet one year ago, I had made exactly $46 over  
roughly 45 years of shooting, developing, printing, etc.  Back in the  
60's someone gave me $1 for a copy of a print and in the 90's I got  
paid $45 for a photo used in a limited circulation magazine.    
Everything else I've done has been for my own benefit or as a "photo  
dad" who gave others files to make copies.  I joined PortraNet because  
I wanted to improve - not because I expected to make any money doing  
photography.

However, shortly after joining, someone saw one of my practice shots.    
They recommended me to someone who hired me to shoot some corporate  
headshots for a website.  That led to another job...which led to  
another job...and so on.  As of last month I've made about $1100 since  
joining.  This is all with no advertising, no business cards, no  
studio - just word of mouth.  Amazing!

Thanks for your critiques, your help and the vast resources on the  
website.  I look forward to the 2nd year.

Gregg Perry, M.D.

« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2008, 11:40am by Ron » IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #94 on: Apr 25th, 2008, 11:14am »

Today - from Phillip Prowse:

Here is my credit card information for my 2nd year renewal. I really debated whether to rejoin or not, but looking at my images from the time I started to what they are today made me realize that I wouldn't be to this point without your guidance. As I told another member, it's not just the access that we have to you, but the whole network of photographers that we access and learn from as well. I have almost made your renewal fee in one session, so to that, I owe to you. Thanks Ron  

IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #95 on: Jun 2nd, 2008, 9:15am »

Dave Smith joined after hearing about PortraNet in DWF  Digital Wedding Forum.
Occationally a member won't be active on portranet and I always wonder if they're learning anything. (I don't receive any feed back of their progress).  

Dave's year expired last month and he left me this as a good bye message.

_________

Thanks!

I meant to do this before my time ended and to tell you how much Portranet has changed my life. I never bothered you with even creating a Member folder, but I still feel I got my money's worth many times over. You are the consumate photographer and teacher and I am proud to have been a part. I will always be indebted to you as I feel I'm  a 1000 times better than when I joined with still a long, long ways to go. If circumstances change, you can bet I'll be back. Thanks again Ron, alot!!

_________

Thank you for that comment Dave - I appreciate hearing back. Though I would have loved to had the chance to work more closely through your progression, I'm thrilled you learned as much as you did!  Take care, hope you can rejoin us in the future.
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2008, 9:16am by Ron » IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #96 on: Aug 21st, 2008, 9:55am »

From Kathy Burcham

Ron,  
I wanted to send you a note to let you know how much I have learned over the last year.  
I first picked up a 35mm camera when I was 16 years old. I have enjoyed photography for a very long time.  Portranet has given me the tools to advance my hobby to a whole new level.  
I wasn't sure that I could make the leap to digital photography (something about teaching old dogs new tricks!). There is not a day on Portranet that I don't learn something that I can put into practice right away.  

Expect many more posts in year 2- just had to let you know that this journey is fabulous!!  

Thank you,  
Kathy  
PS-My renewal check is on the way.  

I surely appreciate your comments... thank you!
IP Logged

Nick J Guida
Alumni

Great Falls MT
# 1198

Hello - I'm new to PortraNET!

View Profile WWW Email

1st yr.
Date Started: Feb 14th, 2007
« Reply #97 on: Aug 26th, 2008, 11:33am »

Hey Ron,

Long time since I have written anything, but things are going so well I thought I would just add story also.  Well I joined PN Feb 2007 and I had never shot a high school senior.  I really wanted to transition from weddings to seniors and needed help.  I felt like I learned so quickly that my confidence was through the roof.  I opened a studio in May 2007, which was about a year earlier than I expected.  I now have a 3000 foot studio, my wife quit her job and runs the desk and I have a part time editor.  I went from never shooting a senior to about 150-200 this year.  I am so busy that I am shooting     2-3 a day  and trying to keep up.  I also had the confidence to raise my prices which is a very big aspect of owning a studio.  I raised them and felt like my business got busier.  Ron not only showed me how to shoot like a pro but very importrant business aspects.  I even used his brochure as a template for ours.  Bottom line is I went from nothing except a camera and very limited knowledge to a very happy business owner that expects to break 150k this year.  Not bad considering I didn't exist as a business a year and a half ago.  Once again thanks Ron for your help, couldn't have done it without you.

Nick
IP Logged
Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #98 on: Aug 26th, 2008, 1:36pm »

NICK - AWESOME! - thanks so much to keeping in touch and updating us with your progress!  Keep us posted -  It's impressive considering the state of the current economic situation of the country.  Count your blessings to be doing well AND GROWING at this particular time!

IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #99 on: Sep 26th, 2008, 5:54pm »

I love hearing this stuff
From the "members studios" area...

Thanks Everyone!    

I have to say, I don't think this would ever have been possible if it weren't for Portranet!  
I started out in my garage at home (never expecting to stay busy enough to be full-time)  in this small town, but ended up buying an older building on main street and only after 4 years, outgrowing that space as well!  We are anxious to get in the new place and only have 2 - 3 weeks to get it all finished.    
I still have a long way to go and lots to learn in photography, and I will be a member here as long as Portanet exists!      
You guys are the best and I am learning so much and having a blast getting to do what I love!    
Thanks so much,  

Debbie  

« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2008, 5:55pm by Ron » IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #100 on: Sep 2nd, 2009, 1:39pm »

Kristina posted this to all in the open forum
congrats! Kristina.

Two weeks ago I was contacted by a friend of a friend who needed a last minute photographer for a wedding....this was on a wed and the wedding was saturday. I happened to be free so I accepted. Well, what I thought was a simple wedding turned out to be a cancer survivor's dream  come true to have a beautiful wedding and this was all sponsored by a national magazine here in South Africa...and as the winner, her wedding will be featured in an article in the october issue of the magazine and it will be MY images they will be using!  I also get a bi-line and my picture included with a small write up about me!  

But wait...it gets even better! Monday, I met with my contact to the magazine to go over layout and image selections for over two hours....she couldnt have been more enthralled with not only my images but also had read my website from top to bottom and just loved my style and photography....she then proceeded to ask me if I would consider doing some makeover work (glamour shots, ect...) for her skin care line she owns for matric students and mother daughters...as they get makeovers and taught how to properly apply makeup.  AND THEN, she also booked her own personal family session with me because she said she hadnt seen anything like my images and just loved my lighting and such.  

I was very encouraged and it made my day...went home and looked up more information on her and guess what? I will be shooting the former Miss South Africa's family portrait next month and working closely with her all natural product company for event shoots and promotions!  [b][/b]  

How cool is that?    

And I owe this all to Ron and Portranet!!! I love it here! Look where my journey has taken me and all without any fancy equipment!  Just had to share!!  
IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #101 on: Oct 19th, 2009, 2:45pm »

Raves on PPA website?
This was just emailed to me.

____

I'll be "surfing" thru tonight after my class at comm college altho I'm more excited about Protranet. I'll definitely follow your advice about where to start.

Heard about you via:

I was reading thru PPA's forum & your senior portraits were mentioned as being the best in the biz. I had to look into it & they were spot on - your work made a lasting impression on me, I like your artistic approach, then the accolades from your students sealed it for me. I haven't been able to stop thinking about the "possibilities" that may be there for me learning from you. Funny thing is I don't know if I would have given portraiture serious consideration if I hadn't seen your work.

Karen Flook
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2009, 2:45pm by Ron » IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #102 on: Dec 7th, 2009, 1:05pm »

A member emailed me this - I asked if I could share it here.

One gal emailed another gal (who's a member here) how do I start in photography...

Although I didn't write this for your benefit, after re-reading what I sent to my friend in the Houston area, I thought I'd share with you.  As a business owner for many years, anytime people could tell me, in their own words, any good or bad reasons why they did or didn't do business with me, it was like GOLD.  Once I started writing/thinking, it just kept coming... this is copied/pasted directly from my Facebook Inbox:  

Subject:  favor  
Between You and Angie Hugus Edwards  

Angie Hugus Edwards November 13 at 9:48am  
i have a huge favor to ask of you. i want to know all about how to get started as a photographer. i have wanted to be one since i was a child and as an adult too afraid to take the chance. I'M READY! i earned my degree in communications with an emphasis on journalism and taught at the high school level before becoming a stay at home mom for the last 6 years. there is no better time to go for my dream than now.  
one of the things i've been afraid of is that i don't know how to get started. i've wanted to ask this favor of you for a while, but i'm the kind of person that doesn't want to impose on someone. i know i'm asking a lot, but here are some of my questions.....  
generally, how did you get started?  
what kind of camera(s) do you use?  
how to you process your prints? (since this has all changed since i took dark room in college!)  
do you use a studio and what type of space do you use?  
what equipement/backgounds do you need to start? i imagine a computer is used now-a-days, what kind/programs?  
does one need some sort of business license? ( i guess state by state laws would apply)  
and any other info you know i need to know to get started  
i know this is a lot of info and you may not have time for all of this, but any help would be greatly appreciated.  
~angie  

Anissa Dossey Long November 13 at 10:21am  
Hey Angie!! Of course I have time for you!  

The best thing I EVER did for my photography career was to sign up with PortraNET (http://www.portranet.com ). It's a one-on-one online training course that will answer every question you have above and WAY WAY WAY more. It's $1800 for the 1st year, and we couldn't necessarily afford it when I joined, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. The instructor, Ron Kramer, is a successful, working photographer- 30 years of success. He's also a Christian, and treats each student and his clients, with the love of Christ.  

He started PortraNET in 2003, so there is 7 years of information stored there (which will keep you busy reading and learning for the first 3-4 months!) I joined in Feb. this year, and still read every day.  

You will learn about equipment (from Ron's experience, as well as other students)-- hopefully BEFORE you buy anything. This can save you hundreds of $$. I bought most of my equipment before PN, and now am in the process of selling that & buying different.  

You will learn posing & lighting, which is the key to selling your work for real $. The true value of what I've learned was made very clear to me last weekend when I attended a seminar by Dave Newman, who is a Master Photographer with over 550 Merit Awards. Everything he taught about the 12 Elements of Award-Winning Merit Prints in National Competition was a "review" for me. (I knew NONE of the info before PN!)  

You will learn digital processing-- efficiency, how to retouch in Photoshop, reviews of tools that make it easier (as well as opinions of things not to waste your money on).  

And you'll learn about the business of photography. I currently have a "garden-level-residential-studio" but hope to do this full time within a couple of years and have a regular studio. Each person goes at their own pace and you'll get some great insight on how to set up a studio or shoot out of your home. And if you do weddings, you don't need a studio at all.  

Each student has a "Project Folder" where you put your images for Ron's critique. Ron responds to project folders the same day that you post in most cases, so you get instant, one-on-one feedback-- at your learning pace. The more you practice/post, the more you'll learn. And you have visibility not only to your own folder, but to every student's folder from 2003. I've learned SO MUCH from reading others' project folders from beginning to end. No one else is allowed to post comments in project folders, so they don't get "cluttered" with other people's opinions. So you see image/critique/image/critique... and you learn to "see" good work. Then you apply it to your own.  

Others who have joined that have attended classes, school, etc. have said that they've learned more on PN than MANY years of school could teach.  

Have I sold you yet Can't say enough about it. Check it out, register as a guest, then read some of the posts. You can see the layout, and a couple of sections for guests- but all the teaching parts are visible once you are a paying student.

Call me if you have more questions-- easier to talk than type when I have so much to say!  BTW, I would NEVER recommend PortraNET to anyone in the Denver Area (maybe not even in CO!) because what we learn there completely sets your work apart from all other photographers-- some who have been in business for a very long time, but just don't pay attention to the details that make great portraits.  

~Anissa  
IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #103 on: Jan 26th, 2010, 3:21pm »

This one via email. =)

How do you keep going and going and going month after month, posting those detailed answers to everyone?  I don't know how you do it.  I see the new people's post and think "oh man, Ron's got to explain this or that just like he did on so many other people's folders".  Kudos to you for continuing to be patient and thorough.  Sometimes I think you do have bad days though and are not up to it, but you forge ahead.  

« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2010, 6:48pm by Ron » IP Logged

Wendy Lake
Alumni

Hanover PA
# 1626

Never done learning

View Profile WWW Email

2nd yr.
Date Started: Sep 8th, 2009
My Goal Here: To become a Pro Photographer as soon as possible!
« Reply #104 on: Jan 29th, 2010, 9:58am »

I'd say Ron is a bargain!  Just today, I received an email from a well known photographer.
Personally, I love the photographer's work.  

However, that photographer charges consultation fees of $350 per hour or $3500 per day.  We have access to Ron's knowledge and experience every day for a year for $1800.  So if you think Ron is expensive, that works out to under $7 per day (only counting weekdays).  

Just my 2cents.  
Thank you Ron!
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2010, 9:59am by Wendy Lake » IP Logged

There's more to being a photographer than having a camera!
Pages: 8  
Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
«- A Members facebook c… | Index ^ | Some of Ron's OLDER … -»

All content, images & instruction Copyright ©2003-2013 Ron Kramer/Rojoy Inc. dba PortraNet
PortraNET » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

Artdesy.com - An Art Directory