This public area... PortraNET FAQ
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jan 26th, 2020, 8:08am
About PortraNETAbout PortraNET EnrollEnroll RegisterRegister Member FeedbackMember Feedback  Ron's Studio Site & Gallery Ron's Studio Site & Gallery
HomeHome LoginLogin MembersMembers  Student map Student map
Mail BoxMail Box PortraNET.comPortraNET.com SearchSearch
News:
   PortraNET
   Public Access - Post to all in these areas
   PortraNet Lounge
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
«- How PortraNET works … | Index ^ | What is PortraNET? … -»
Pages: 1 Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: This public area... PortraNET FAQ  (Read 5259 times)
Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
My Goal Here: -
« on: Feb 12th, 2004, 5:17pm »

I've had several questions sent to me from people thinking about joining. Of course they are leery. (what is behind the curtain). One thing you can do is look at the info pages...

http://www.portranet.com/about/

But these were showing what we offered only 2-3 months after PortraNET was created.
We have evolved into much larger and better things. And to be honest, I don't have the time to spend updating all the sample data. (I'm busy working with members on PortraNET!)

One person commented that he wonders how active PortraNET is because this area doesn't get much activity.  That is understandable, but this area is not PortraNET.
I created this area so that people can post questions, and get answers and responses from members. Members do not typically use this area. And neither do I. This is nothing more than a front porch. Knock on the door and ask questions of those of us inside.

Another email also commented, there doesn't appear to be much activity. (by looking at this area as well). No there isn't much activity here, the activity is INSIDE!  So much in fact that I'm spending 4-8 hours a day responding. And when I'm not responding I'm shooting or editing videos and putting them on-line. Or adding new updates to the software. (I've added many great features this month, member chat feature were we can have meetings and Q&A time with me live via chat.  Though my responses are often as good as live in the message areas.  That is - when someone plans to post 4-5 images of their recent work (all in secession) And then want to await my responses. I have usually responded to the first image posted before they get the 2nd, 3rd or 4th image posted!

Other new features (new look to the graphics) new message entry with backup to clipboard function, new thread paging feature that allows saving complete threads to your drive in one step, new member listing to sort the list, new member map where members have placed a pin at their location, in a glance you can see were all members are located, members on-line "flash" while viewing the map. Click on a pin and get the members profile and picture of who they are.  

Other features, Event Calendar, which you can see as well, members can also post events to this feature.  

Other features, rating system, on-line competition, judged by your peers...  On-line Quizzes were just added. (with one) and many more to follow as time allows. All these things are added by me between my responses to members questions and between lessons being posted.  So I tend to put in an additional 5-8 hours in updates.  (I've been going to bed about 2-3am most nights this month.

Is there much action and participation?  Yes and no, depends on the members personality, needs and free time.  Some people join and READ and READ and READ and STUDY and READ. There is no need to post messages. If you are busy you may not have time to post messages. Often others have posted questions and I've already answered them so that I answer some folks questions before they ever ask.  So many people do not post. There is no rule that you have to contribute, show your work or be a active poster of text. MANY people can learn by reading and doing on their own.  

While others will need to ask questions, will need more hand holding to help them grasp the basics. Not a problem at all. You may be as active as you need to be or have time to be. Many of the active people become friends with other active people. We had a open house at my studio. (open to members only) and many met and we had a blast just getting together.  Many share their promotions, their direct mail designs, the places that have good deals in printing, where to get mailing lists, good deals on backgrounds. There are VAST amounts of activity. And it is rare that there is less than 8 members on-line at any one time. Often 12-15 members on at the same time.

PortraNET is ever expanding and evolving. I let the members control how we change. Originally there were no forum areas. All questions were to me, all answers were by me. Later some members said they'd like to learn from the other pro's here. So we expanded into '1' open member forum. This has now grown into SEVEN member forums, while the instructional areas are still limited to questions to me and responses from me.

There are currently over 9000 posts, and I tend not to allow worthless posts taking up space. (ie: someone says "got it thanks!"  I delete it. I want it to be a fine tuned machine with information that will be instructional. Not idle chit chat.  

In the Project Folders there are typically 3 - 4 updated folders per day, with anywhere from 1-8 new images submitted to each of these folders that I critique and comment on. (while typing this, I was caught up before I started and already, Chuck K just posted SIX new images he just took. So I have to get back to work and help him with his initial lighting setup. (he just joined us)

I have added 1 new video clip up this week to our library of over 60 videos!
2-3 more clips are currently in editing (when I find the time to get back at them).

I also have a new portal page coming on-line (when I find some free time to finish it) that will show news, and statistics of PortraNET activity.  But I need to find some time to get it finished up and on-line.

Luckily I shoot at the studio only about 3 months a year, so the rest of the time I can be here 18 hours a day!  I enjoy every minute of it.

To be honest, I will be more scarce from July-Oct. But I typically still check in each night after studio work to catch up with questions and critiques. But be aware that I do shoot a lot during that time and I'm not as available during that term.

We just setup the dates for a LIVE workshop that members have been requesting. There is currently a competition going on, there is always activity, work do to and something new to learn. ESPECIALLY since we've been here for almost a year now. That means - that unlike the people who joined when we first started and were able to read each new bit as I entered it. Members joining today or later will have nearly a YEARS worth of data to devour. That means it will take as long to consume the goodies as we spent building the database.  It will require a good year at least to take it all in. If you do search and pick your topics, you can speed through the info in maybe 8 months. But remember that just as you think you're catching up. I'm posing more videos, answering more questions and adding more instruction. The library just grows exponentially! It's been a wonderful thing.

Another Question asked of me:
Why don't some members have their emails listed.  - This is due to their right to privacy. Anyone here can PM (private message) any other member here. We don't do much if any email exchange of text or data. Some folks do not want people to solicit them and like to keep their emails private. We like to honor that.  

Another Question: some people don't have their sites listed:
Again - their right to privacy.  Some are NEW TO THIS and have no websites, or want to learn how to produce pro level work BEFORE making a PRO WEBSITE.   Others may have one by may not feel it worthy to share. "yet".  

I hope this addressed the questions and concerns...  though I'm sure I'll still get these via email because very few read this stuff!  Grin

Feel free to ask here publicly! - Feel free to PM any member here.  That is why I allow the member list and PM feature to be accessible to non members!  PM ANY member! You'll get the same answer - PortraNET is great.

Well BACK TO WORK!
IP Logged

It's not any "one" thing, but hundreds of little things that make a great image.
Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
My Goal Here: -
Re: This public area... PortraNET FAQ  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12th, 2004, 5:24pm »

To see who posts the most, go to the member list and click on the header "POSTS"
it will sort them with the top posting members.

Also - note that people don't join to post, or join to learn from others to post. It is my amount of posts that counts.  Wink
IP Logged

It's not any "one" thing, but hundreds of little things that make a great image.
Pages: 1 Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
«- How PortraNET works … | Index ^ | What is PortraNET? … -»

All content, images & instruction Copyright 2003-2013 Ron Kramer/Rojoy Inc. dba PortraNet
PortraNET » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

Artdesy.com - An Art Directory