« LJ USA »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Mar 30th, 2017, 8:39am
About PortraNETAbout PortraNET EnrollEnroll RegisterRegister Member FeedbackMember Feedback  Ron's Studio Site & Gallery Ron's Studio Site & Gallery
HomeHome LoginLogin MembersMembers  Student map Student map
Mail BoxMail Box PortraNET.comPortraNET.com SearchSearch
News:
   PortraNET
   Public Access - Post to all in these areas
   PortraNet Lounge
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
   LJ USA
«- 2009 Senior | Index ^ | My first portrait po… -»
Pages: 1 Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: LJ USA  (Read 3106 times)
Jeremiah_Neal
Registered

North Dakota
# 1888

Hello - I'm new to PortraNET!

View Profile

1st yr.
My Goal Here: I'm a working pro and want to improve the quality of my work.
LJ USA   LJ_USA.jpg
« on: Mar 11th, 2010, 8:58am »

Good Morning All,
I am not yet a paid member but looking forward to becoming one and in the mean time looking for some critique...any advice/criticism?
IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
My Goal Here: -
Re: LJ USA  
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11th, 2010, 11:44am »

Hi Jeremiah - cute little guy  Looks like the next boxing champ.   LOTS of things to improve upon here, to much to get into in a single msg, but primarily contrast is way to high.  Notice the lack of tonal range. Making his pupils blend into his iris tones (making the eyes all solid black). Rather than having nice detailed brown iris's with black pupils.

Lots more we can get into when you enroll.  If it helps, I'm currently offering a 995.00 gets you in and 100.00 per month payment plan.

lemme know if I can assist you further with any questions/concerns you might have.

blessings
Ron
IP Logged

It's not any "one" thing, but hundreds of little things that make a great image.
Jeremiah_Neal
Registered

North Dakota
# 1888

View Profile

1st yr.
LJ USA2   JNP_0066-31.jpg
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11th, 2010, 9:00am »

Sorry for the previous one being so big I am a rookie...hopefully this one isn't.

Original message:
Good Morning All,
I am not yet a paid member but looking forward to becoming one and in the mean time looking for some critique...any advice/criticism?
IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
Re: LJ USA2  
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11th, 2010, 11:48am »

Better, but still lacks tonal range. Better (Warmer) color.  Really the mainlight placement is poor, but I like the rich color and shadow dispite that.

SIZE:  well you're in luck.  When people registered (as you have) upgrade them one level and they can then access the PLE sponsored  "digital 101" area.  This lets you learn some of very basic  "digital 101" topics.  Like   "Image size and cropping!"  which will help you prep your images for posting at a decent size.

The topic pertains more to size and cropping for the lab/prints.  But the same info can be used to post images online.  Typically we want the images to be no larger than 800 pixels wide to post on here.  Direct link to that lesson is here.

http://www.portranet.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=digital101;action=d isplay;num=1111591985

Welcome!
P.S.  I'll downsize and repost these for you.
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2010, 11:48am by Ron » IP Logged

It's not any "one" thing, but hundreds of little things that make a great image.
Jeremiah_Neal
Registered

North Dakota
# 1888

View Profile

1st yr.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11th, 2010, 12:47pm »

Sir,
Thank You so much for the critique...I always appreciate constructive criticism. Hopefully you will still have your offer later this year. I just recently separated from the military and I am trying to get situated.  

PS. The first photo purposely lacked color for effect...I guess it didnt work lol. Thanks Again! God Bless!
IP Logged
Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11th, 2010, 1:30pm »

In the 2nd image, now that it's downsized - I can see the entire image.  A background light would really improve this image as the shadow area and hair is blending in the background. We'd like seperation between his hair and the background.  Great concept and good angle on him - as well as nice crop with him on the right looking into the frame!

First one weak color.  Well I say to all my students - don't do something because you can.  Do it because the image calls for it.  For example, this image really didn't need the pale color.  I wouldn't say it improved the over all look or feel.  So really no need for the effect.

Thank you for serving us your country!  Welcome home.
IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
Re: LJ USA   addbglitexample.jpg
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11th, 2010, 1:54pm »

PS - check out a simulated BG light - and how much better this looks.

IP Logged

Jeremiah_Neal
Registered

North Dakota
# 1888

View Profile

1st yr.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11th, 2010, 2:27pm »

WOW! I definitely see your point...Question: as I know this is your business so just a yes or no is cool, is it possible to keep the background black and still separate the subject? I truly look forward to officially joining your program! Thanks!
IP Logged
Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11th, 2010, 2:59pm »

You could do a couple things.  (yes or no)  Grin
Black background with background light would give you a grayish light spot. (works fine)  
OR - you can keep it jet black and seperate the subject in other ways like rim lighting, kickers and hairlights.  So that we see the edge of the hair and shadow areas against the black/dark areas of the subject.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
«- 2009 Senior | Index ^ | My first portrait po… -»

All content, images & instruction Copyright ©2003-2013 Ron Kramer/Rojoy Inc. dba PortraNet
PortraNET » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

Artdesy.com - An Art Directory