Still considering joining...
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Sep 26th, 2020, 10:46am
About PortraNETAbout PortraNET EnrollEnroll RegisterRegister Member FeedbackMember Feedback  Ron's Studio Site & Gallery Ron's Studio Site & Gallery
HomeHome LoginLogin MembersMembers  Student map Student map
Mail BoxMail Box PortraNET.comPortraNET.com SearchSearch
News:
   PortraNET
   Public Access - Post to all in these areas
   PortraNet Lounge
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
   Still considering joining...
«- Something Fun! Show … | Index ^ | Tripods?? -»
Pages: 1 Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Still considering joining...  (Read 2196 times)
Tamara Smith
Alumni

Mountain Home AR
# 2259

Hello - I'm new to PortraNET!

View Profile Email

7th yr.
Date Started: Feb 1st, 2011
My Goal Here: -
Still considering joining...   IMG_5035_2.jpg
« on: Jan 21st, 2011, 3:28pm »

Just thought I would give this a try and post a photo that I took yesterday of my daughter in the snow.  Just seeking comments on the photo to see how PortraNET works.
IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
Re: Still considering joining...  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21st, 2011, 4:41pm »

I like my students to comment - but this has lots of nice elements I'm not use to seeing from prospective members.    Just wondering if they were intentional or just happened?  I find that is why most people join.  They say I get those occational great shots, but don't really know why.  And I'm not consistent.  What I will do for you in addition to improving your work is allowing you to know why - and to repeat quality shots over and over.

What I see here is excellent composition. (the face just right of center) is really nciely placed.  The crop doesn't include anything that isn't needed... but isn't cutting off the flowing circular hood line either.  The facial angle is correct - as well as the masculine tilt and hair flow. (are you familar with those terms?) else you need to learn them.

The background is nice - and not distracting.  The biggest weakness here is one of the most important things.  LIGHTING.   It is the light, quality of that light and direction of that light that defines the subject.   Good lighting will FLATTER and make them go wow - and (spend more on the pictures!)  Poor lighting tend to not flatter and so the sales won't be as great as we'd have liked.

What's lacking here is directionality to the light - (your light here is flat) so there isn't any glow to the skin - or pretty skin.  (The skin is flat and full looking).  Also there is no life in the eyes.  Good lighting will be relfected back to the viewer from the subjects eyes!  It's been said that the eyes are the windows to the soul.   And without exciting eyes with life... the soul appears lacking.  This beautiful gal should photograph beautifully!  The eyes should sing with sparkle and character and should just suck the view in with a whooooo  when they see this.  

Lots of skill here so far... but surely lots of room to improve upon!  Maybe my students will take the time to post as well.  (We're more busy inside - so we don't pop out here often - plus on weekends we tend to take time away from PortraNET.
IP Logged

It's not any "one" thing, but hundreds of little things that make a great image.
Tamara Smith
Alumni

Mountain Home AR
# 2259

View Profile Email

7th yr.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21st, 2011, 5:08pm »

Thanks for the comments Ron.  To answer your questions:  I do pretty well with composition and yes, this shot was intentional.  No, I am not familiar with the terms - "masculine tilt" and "hair flow".

Lighting is my biggest weakness especially when it comes to using flash lighting.  This was taken outside and it was very cloudy (it was actually snowing) so there wasn't much light to find.  I knew you were going to say that about her eyes!  I noticed this too and maybe once I am able to join I will learn about proper use of light and how to make the eyes pop!
IP Logged
Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22nd, 2011, 4:45pm »

I'm sure the shot was intentional, I was referring to the hair flow and masculine tilt.  If you're unaware of those two basic elements.  You probably don't get good consistent results?  You have them right on - which means you either have a great feel/eye...  or just happened to 'hit it' this shot.  Smiley

I Can see it was overcast and snowing.  Actually overcast is the BEST you can ask for.  However finding good light that isn't from above is tricky in the winter!  

Eyes: yep for sure...  but more imporant you'll learn why this pose works wonderfully.  So that you can built wonderful poses over and over.

Hope to see you join us soon.
IP Logged

It's not any "one" thing, but hundreds of little things that make a great image.
Holly Tracy
Alumni

Davenport IA
# 603

Addicted to PortraNet!

View Profile WWW

7th yr.
Date Started: Jan 31st, 2005
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22nd, 2011, 9:33pm »

Tamara asked me in a private email if I liked PortraNet and if I thought it was worth the $.  I told her that it was worth every penny and more.... and that PortraNet was instrumental in my lighting and posing technique.  I owe alot to PortraNet and Ron.  I feel like I learned more here than anywhere else... and Ron's personalized teaching is unmatched anywhere.  

I've got two words for you Tamara.... "Doooooo It!"   Grin
IP Logged

Holly Tracy
www.htimages.com
Tamara Smith
Alumni

Mountain Home AR
# 2259

View Profile Email

7th yr.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25th, 2011, 7:34pm »

Well, I did it!  The check is in the mail!!!  I can't wait to get started and meet everyone on the inside!
IP Logged
Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26th, 2011, 11:35am »

Super- talk to you soon.  Don't buy any other equipment until you're inside. I can help with what to get, best values and what not to get.  (wasted money).

You have a VERY good eye - so the next step is to learn the art of portraiture.  (Very few photographers have that knowledge).
IP Logged

Pages: 1 Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
«- Something Fun! Show … | Index ^ | Tripods?? -»

All content, images & instruction Copyright 2003-2013 Ron Kramer/Rojoy Inc. dba PortraNet
PortraNET » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

Artdesy.com - An Art Directory