« Kudo? 3 Student replies to me today... »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Sep 26th, 2020, 9:53am
About PortraNETAbout PortraNET EnrollEnroll RegisterRegister Member FeedbackMember Feedback  Ron's Studio Site & Gallery Ron's Studio Site & Gallery
HomeHome LoginLogin MembersMembers  Student map Student map
Mail BoxMail Box PortraNET.comPortraNET.com SearchSearch
News:
   PortraNET
   Public Access - Post to all in these areas
   PortraNet Lounge
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
   Kudo? 3 Student replies to me today...
«- Larsen 4x6 Soft Box | Index ^ | Denny's NEW foldable… -»
Pages: 1 Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Kudo? 3 Student replies to me today...  (Read 2236 times)
Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
My Goal Here: -
Kudo? 3 Student replies to me today...  
« on: Nov 11th, 2011, 11:58am »

From Tamara Smith's folder today in reponse to how I did a pole vault composite shot.
(by the way -  PWC means  "person with camera" (attempting to do pro photography).

Tamara has been here about 10 months now.  

http://tamarasmithphotography.com
She writes:

This is the coolest shot!!!  I sure hope I can pull it off with the senior and his longboard.  

One question - on your background light, do you leave the reflector attached to the light?  By reflector I am referring to the metal thing that fits around the light.  It is that thing that you can take off and on the actual background light.  

I just love being here and being able to learn things like this that the PWC have no chance of accomplishing!  I just talked to a person who took her son to a PWC that is just getting started.  They just did outdoor shots of course and she said the "photog" just told her son to stand there and look manly.  She had NO CLUE how to pose him!  The mom commented that she would not order from any of them because they were not portraits that she would want hanging on her wall.  Now she is going to hire me to redo them!  

More news - Yesterday I met with the family that I did with the little girl and her french horn and then the family session.  I met with them to show them their proofs.  They kept saying how wonderful they turned out and how pleased they are with them!!!  I am so happy!  They placed an $566 order!  I think that is my best yet from one single order!  YIPEEEEE!!!  

Thank you for all your help!!!!!

« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2011, 1:06pm by Ron » IP Logged

It's not any "one" thing, but hundreds of little things that make a great image.
Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
No brainer folks on the outside  
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11th, 2011, 12:03pm »

Quote:
They placed an $566 order!  I think that is my best yet from one single order!  YIPEEEEE!!!

On other forums I see people asking about PortraNET saying wow it's expensive.

Really people?  Is it?  

When with skills learned here you can shoot for 1 hour and make this kind of money?  (and this is a average to small order really)  It's not all that uncommon for those here over 2-3 years to get 1000.00 - 3000.00 orders for 30-60 minute sessions.

At 566.  (we're looking at 500 profit) for say a typical session (1 hour)
That means that you'll get your full investment in PortraNET back plus profit in only 4 hours work.    

It's a NO BRAINER.   PortraNET is cheap!
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2011, 1:06pm by Ron » IP Logged

It's not any "one" thing, but hundreds of little things that make a great image.
Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
Re: Kudo?  Just read this in the next folder.  
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11th, 2011, 12:49pm »

Todays my day!  Another comment in another member's folder...  

Katherine Brock On her 2nd year here.
I like to include websites - so people on the OUTSIDE don't think I'm making these up.
http://www.kathybrockphoto.com/

She replied to my post in her project folder today:

I really appreciate your strong conviction about your work and what you teach... after all the wow factor is what brought us all here and why we all want to do what you do and see what you see. I strive for that excellence, and feel really honored that you like my work... really a wonderful experience to have someone I look up to say such things. I see my work changing, for the better because of you. My image quality is getting there, still on it's way, but getting there. I probably will still experiment because all of the tools are new to me... LOL, new tools you know )))) LOL! I'm glad to have someone to help reign me in, to remind me of the rules. I may be an old dog but still need all those basics.  
Tomorrow I am going to send my latest maternity photo. I've admire the work of a local photographer for many years and finally talked with her about her style etc. She was incredibly generous and I was able to buy some fabric that flows like non other I've used. I hope that you will like the photos, I'm so excited to have achieved a look in this genre that takes my breath away. Thank you again! See you tomorrow ;o))
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2011, 1:07pm by Ron » IP Logged

Ron
Instructor
Grand Rapids MI
# 1

View Profile WWW Email

12th yr.
They must come in three's  
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11th, 2011, 12:53pm »

Another reply from a very new member...  6 weeks.
Gary Martin replied in his folder to me today:
gary@tm2inc.com

________

Thank you for the directed feedback, all actionable by me.  I have spent many, many hours in your site looking in other's folders and mainly in reading your lighting and posing instruction, as well as watching the videos for basic shots.  Portraiture is new to me, after many tens of thousands of candid, nature, landscape, etc.  Much to master so it becomes second nature as it is to you.  I have that feeling with shots in my comfort area (landscape, HDR, etc.).  It was when I came across House of Photography website and saw the absolute consistency of superb color and and posing that I knew I wanted to do this.  Inspirational as well as instructional.  

Here are my current concerns:  I read what you said about the catcjh lights being ideally at 10-2 o'clock, but tough to achieve for with my ceiling in studio (in a basement).  It is kinda low (7'3") to ceiling tiles that I cannot remove because duct work just above tiles.  I can raise my 4x6 Denny softbox (thanks for the recommendation) only about 6" more.  I will try that to see if it's enough.  What about turning it horizontally?  Won't that make the catch lights seem "goofy."  I do have other smaller softboxes and a 52" octagon (but it is tough to get high enough also).  

I cannot remember if I made ACR adjustments or not when I opened the RAW file, so will send you the CR2 as soon as I read your ftp instructions.  Thanks again for the guidance, I know it looks like little progress, but I am feeling more confident because of instruction.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
«- Larsen 4x6 Soft Box | Index ^ | Denny's NEW foldable… -»

All content, images & instruction Copyright ©2003-2013 Ron Kramer/Rojoy Inc. dba PortraNet
PortraNET » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

Artdesy.com - An Art Directory