« One of my favorites from my first maternity shoot »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Sep 26th, 2020, 11:43am
About PortraNETAbout PortraNET EnrollEnroll RegisterRegister Member FeedbackMember Feedback  Ron's Studio Site & Gallery Ron's Studio Site & Gallery
HomeHome LoginLogin MembersMembers  Student map Student map
Mail BoxMail Box PortraNET.comPortraNET.com SearchSearch
News:
   PortraNET
   Public Access - Post to all in these areas
   PortraNet Lounge
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
   One of my favorites from my first maternity shoot
«- Had to Share and it'… | Index ^ | Larsen 4x6 Soft Box -»
Pages: 1 Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: One of my favorites from my first maternity shoot  (Read 2271 times)
Robert Nix
Alumni

Easley SC
# 2386

Hello - I'm new to PortraNET!

View Profile WWW Email

1st yr.
Date Started: Sep 9th, 2013
My Goal Here: I want to get paid to do photography part-time on the side.
One of my favorites from my first maternity shoot   Aug312013_0040-e-lr.jpg
« on: Sep 9th, 2013, 1:26pm »

Hey, guys - I'm about to be a new member of Portranet, and I'm really excited to learn how to take some awesome photos!  I'm amazed at the beautiful lighting in the photos from students of Portranet!

Well, this was one image from my first maternity shoot about 2 weeks ago, and I think this one was my favorite from the whole batch.  My wife actually found the silhouette idea on Pinterest, and I took one of mom and dad as silhouettes, but this one I really liked better - to me it was more powerful (I love her pose, her head-tilt, the hair falling down).  I know it's a cheap way of not lighting the photo!  But I do like it - and once I'm a student, I really want to get lighting down!!!

Anyway, what do you think?  Thanks, and looking forward to becoming a member!!!
IP Logged

I got a passion for photography!
Now, what do I do with it?!
Mort Harwood
Alumni

Grand Rapids MI
# 2345

View Profile WWW Email

3rd yr.
Date Started: Apr 17th, 2012
My Goal Here: I'm a hobbiest and want to take better portrait pictures.
Re: One of my favorites from my first maternity sh  
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10th, 2013, 9:54pm »

I think this is really beautiful.  I might have asked her to remove the watch since it seems a little distracting.  I might also think about removing (on the computer) the bush behind her.  Also maybe smooth out or remove some of the bumps in her pants.

And I'm trying to visualize it, but I wonder what it would have looked like if you had put her directly in front of the sun instead of having the sun in front of her.  (Shoot it both ways and see...maybe you did already and this one works best...I'm just wondering out loud.)

Or maybe better yet...sometimes the sky is nicest for using as a backdrop just AFTER the sun has set...the colors sometimes get deeper and redder just after sunset.

But enough with all that nit-picking.  It's really very nice, I like!

I joined a little over a year ago, have learned a ton.  Ron pours a lot into helping his students go from PWC portraits to pro portraits.  I've had many of my family and friends comment on how much my work has improved since joining PortraNET.  Feels good to be able to (know how to) do nice work.  Still much to improve on and get consistency with, but man what a great find it was for me to stumble upon PortraNET and decide to join.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2013, 9:55pm by Mort Harwood » IP Logged
Pages: 1 Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
«- Had to Share and it'… | Index ^ | Larsen 4x6 Soft Box -»

All content, images & instruction Copyright ©2003-2013 Ron Kramer/Rojoy Inc. dba PortraNet
PortraNET » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

Artdesy.com - An Art Directory